Mason City, Iowa - A man is facing 11 charges after a pursuit in Cerro Gordo County and into Mason City on Tuesday morning.
Around a dozen law enforcement vehicles were on the scene and 21-year-old Elias Mendoza was taken into custody just after 8 a.m.
Iowa State Patrol officer Keith Duenow says Mendoza was pulled over for a seat belt violation on Highway 65 just south of the Avenue of the Saints. Once the officer made contact with the driver a pursuit ensued.
One woman who watched the whole scene happen in front of her home says she took off after the driver once he fled on foot.
Michelle Missall says she just made a split decision.
“I just don't like seeing people getting away with stuff like that and as soon as I saw that guy taking off I was like no not going to happen today,” Michelle Missall said.
Mendoza is being held in the Cerro Gordo County Jail with no bond on hold out of Nebraska for burglary and theft.
He is facing 11 misdemeanors in regards to Tuesday’s incident. They are as follows:
Depositing or throwing litter, failure to wear a safety belt, failure to have a valid license, failure to provide liability, failure to yield to emergency vehicle, speeding, unsafe passing, unsafe turn or fail to give signal, unsafe entry onto sidewalk or driveway, failure to obey stop or yield sign and interference with official acts.
At 19th St. and S. Grover, Mendoza fled on foot after an Iowa State Patrol vehicle collided intentionally with the suspect's car and was taken into custody inside an apartment law enforcement claims he stayed at occassionaly in the Westown apartment complex.
"There was one civilian who tried to assist," Duenow said.
- Man facing 11 charges after Tuesday pursuit in Mason City
- Mason City man facing felony theft charge
- Man facing host of charges after early-morning pursuit in Mason City
- Mason City man charged with OWI facing child endangerment charges
- Mason City pursuit ends in arrest
- Mason City woman facing felony drug charges
- Mason City woman facing federal charges
- Mason City pursuit nets man four days in jail.
- Mason City man charged for allegedly spitting in officer's face
- Mason City man facing felony domestic abuse charge