DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — Des Moines' main library downtown has been evacuated and closed after a man walked into its atrium and set himself on fire.
Police say witnesses reported the 36-year-old man doused himself with a flammable liquid just before 2 p.m. Tuesday and lit himself on fire. Library staff used a fire extinguisher to douse the flames, and the man was rushed to a nearby hospital for treatment of serious burns.
The man's name has not been released. No other injuries were reported.
Police closed Locust Street in front of the library as officers investigate.
- Man sets himself on fire in Des Moines public library
- Celebrating Rochester Public Library
- Homeless on the move in Des Moines
- Medical marijuana facility proposed for Des Moines
- Des Moines Register ordered to conceal information
- Gunshots end football game in Des Moines
- Woman sentenced for Des Moines murder
- Six hurt in Des Moines shooting
- Des Moines hospital transplant program announces closure
- RAGBRAI organizers split from Des Moines Register