RICE COUNTY, Minn. – Two state troopers rescued a man Thursday from icy Cannon Lake.
The Minnesota State Patrol says it got a report around 6 pm of a man falling through the ice near Interstate 35 in Rice County. Trooper Derek Swanhorst was first to arrive and saw 28-year-old Brandon Wilmes of Faribault treading water about 60 feet from a bridge near the lake.
Trooper Swanhorst used a dead tree to help Wilmes make his way to the edge of the ice as a second trooper, Doug Rauenhorst arrived. Trooper Rauenhorst put on a life jacket and crawled out on the ice. With Trooper Swanhorst holding his feet, Trooper Raenhorst grabbed onto Wilmes.
Faribault Police Officer Christopher Tonjum and Rice County Deputy Justin Hunt made it to the scene and helped get Wilmes to an ambulance. He was then airlifted to North Memorial Medical Center in Robbinsdale.
- Man saved from icy Minnesota lake
- Multiple auto accidents on icy Minnesota roads
- Body of second Minnesota man found in Wisconsin lake
- Minnesota man arrested for Clear Lake truck theft
- Clear Lake driver in southern Minnesota crash
- Lake Mills driver in southern Minnesota crash
- Lake Mills woman injured in Minnesota rollover
- Minnesota man drowns in Iowa trying to save niece
- Decades of drugs are being detected in Minnesota lakes
- Study to investigate lifespan of walleye in Minnesota lake