WEST UNION, Iowa – A Fayette County man is pleading not guilty in the death of a four-month-old child.
Dean Alan Hettinger, 23 of Westgate, is charged with 1st degree murder and child endangerment. His trial is scheduled to start on August 7.
Authorities say Hettinger was taking care of Holten Smith when the baby suffered 36 rib fractures and brain injuries. Holten smith was taken to Community Memorial Hospital in Sumner on April 29, 2018, when his guardians reported the child was have seizures. The boy was later transferred to University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics and died on May 27, 2018.
- Man pleads not guilty to murder of northeast Iowa baby
- Northeast Iowa teens plead not guilty to attempted murder
- Northeast Iowa man pleads not guilty to child sex abuse
- Northeast Iowa man pleads guilty to receiving child porn
- Murder charge filed against northeast Iowa man
- Northeast Iowa teen pleads not guilty to drug charge
- Northeast Iowa teen pleads guilty to multiple burglaries
- Northeast Iowa woman pleads not guilty to child endangerment
- Triple-digit speeder pleads guilty in northeast Iowa
- Guilty plea in northeast Iowa drug bust