DECORAH, Iowa – The man arrested after authorities said they found a few dozen dead or starving feeder calves on his property is pleading not guilty.
51-year-old Craig Scott Underbakke of Decorah is charged with livestock neglect and seven counts of failure to dispose of a dead animal. The Winneshiek County Sheriff’s Office responded to a call on October 3 that claimed there were dead and underfed animals on Underbakke’s farm in the 2500 block of County Road A18.
After the farm was searched, law enforcement says it found at least 24 dead calves in various stages of decomposition and seized 20 malnourished calves.
Underbakke is scheduled to stand trial on January 4 in Winneshiek County District Court.
- Man pleads not guilty in NE Iowa livestock neglect
- Austin man pleads guilty in NE Iowa burglary
- Chatfield man pleads not guilty to NE Iowa sex abuse
- Man pleads guilty in NE Iowa woman's cannon malfunction death
- NE Iowa woman pleads guilty in 4-year-old daughter's death
- Sheriff: Man accused of driving into livestock barn in NE Iowa
- Northeast Iowa man pleads not guilty to neglecting his dependent mother
- Iowa man pleads guilty in Olmsted County
- Wisconsin man pleads guilty in North Iowa
- NE Iowa man facing sex abuse charge