CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa (AP) — The attorney for a man charged in the 1979 slaying of an Iowa high school student says his client will plead not guilty.
Leon Spies is the attorney for Jerry Lynn Burns. Spies told The Des Moines Register Thursday that Burns will enter the plea at his arraignment, which has not been scheduled. The 64-year-old Burns is being held on $5 million bond .
Police arrested the Manchester man on Dec. 19, charging him with first-degree murder 39 years to the day after 18-year-old Michelle Martinko of Cedar Rapids was killed. Her body was found the next day inside her family's car at a mall. She had been stabbed in the face and chest.
Police say they matched a blood sample from the crime scene with a sample taken from Burns.
- Man pleading not guilty in 1979 Cedar Rapids murder
- Cedar Rapids police charge man with 1979 killing of teen
- 19-year-old arrested for Cedar Rapids murder
- Plea deal in Cedar Rapids murder case
- No casino for Cedar Rapids
- Two hurt in Cedar Rapids shooting
- Flash mob robs Cedar Rapids store
- Fatal train/SUV collision in Cedar Rapids
- Cedar Rapids murder defendant charged with theft in Charles City
- Man gets 37 years for slaying of Cedar Rapids woman