GARNER, Iowa – A Hancock County man is accused of stealing from his grandparent’s home.
Anthony James Fickel Schoneman, 22 of Garner, is charged with 2nd degree burglary, 1st degree theft, and two counts of possession of a controlled substance-1st offense.
The Hancock County Sheriff’s Office says it was called to a home in the 3000 block of Oak Avenue on May 15, 2017, to investigate a burglary. A woman watching over the property called law enforcement when she noticed something wrong at the home.
Deputies say over $10,000 in cash, collector coins, a firearm, ammunition, and prescription pills were taken. Investigators say the burglar obviously knew where items were located inside the home, such as money that was hidden in a bag of clothes.
The Sheriff’s Office says Anthony Fickel Schoneman learned his grandparents were going to be out of town to attend a graduation in Texas, then did not show up for dinner with his family on May 14, 2017. Authorities say Fickel Schoneman was found walking home by his father on the morning of May 15.
The criminal complaint also states that Fickel Schoneman was seen on May 16 or 17 cashing a large jug of coins that had been stolen from his grandparent’s home. Authorities say Fickel Schoneman said he and a friend had been collecting the coins, something the friend disputed.
The Sheriff’s Office also says a search of Fickel Schoneman’s phone found he searched a pill identifier website on the night of the crime. Oxycontin and hydrocodone had been taken during the burglary and Fickel Schoneman’s father says he found a pill of “Oxy” on the couch.
A criminal complaint was filed against Anthony Fickel Schoneman on March 24 and he was arrested on March 27.
- Man charged with burglarizing his grandparents' home
- Garner man sentenced for stealing from grandparents
- UPDATE: Man accused of killing grandparents asking for psychiatric evaluation
- Trial delayed for Mason City man accused of killing grandparents
- Garner man admits to stealing from his grandparents
- Man to stand trial on charges he stole from his grandparents
- Man accused of burglarizing home of missing Wisconsin girl
- Probation for teenage burglar
- Trial set for Mason City man accused of stabbing to death grandparents
- Mason City man accused of murdering grandparents found competent to stand trial