DELHI, Iowa (AP) - Authorities say a Manchester man was driving when a vehicle broke through the ice at Lake Delhi, drowning his passenger.
The body of 23-year-old Alex Salow was found in the vehicle Jan. 8. A witness had spotted it doing doughnuts on the ice before plunging into the frigid water.
Records show 36-year-old Joshua Juengel is charged with vehicular homicide, reckless driving and related crimes. It's unclear whether he has an attorney who could comment for him.
Juengel initially denied being at the scene. A court document says investigators found frozen shoes belonging to Juengel that "smelled of lake water" and matched tracks found at the scene. He eventually told investigators that he was driving that night but was able to escape the sinking vehicle, flee the scene and return home.
- Man charged in fatal fall through ice
- ICE arrests woman convicted in fatal ’08 Minnesota bus crash
- Man arrested in Mexico will face Iowa fatal assault charges
- Man charged in fatal head-butt at downtown Minneapolis bar
- Man charged for fatal crash in eastern Iowa
- Mason City man charged for fatal Worth County collision
- Police: Iowa man charged in fatality was speeding, on phone
- Police charge Boone woman with fatal stabbing of man
- Girl rescued after falling through ice in Austin
- Clear Lake woman rescued after falling through ice