FORT DODGE, Iowa (AP) — A Colorado man faces misdemeanor charges for allegedly throwing water on Iowa Rep. Steve King while the Republican congressman was eating lunch in Fort Dodge, Iowa.
Blake Gibbins was arrested Friday at the Mineral City Mill and Grill. The 26-year-old from Lafayette, Colorado, is charged with simple assault and disorderly conduct, both misdemeanors.
Fort Dodge police say in a news release that Gibbins approached King's group and asked King who he was. When King replied, Gibbins allegedly threw a glass of water on him. Police say others seated at the table also got wet.
King has drawn criticism for racist statements. House Republican leaders this year stripped King of his committee assignments. Still, the nine-term congressman has said he will seek re-election in 2020.
- Man charged for throwing water on Iowa Rep. Steve King
- Iowa governor keeps Rep. Steve King on campaign after tweet
- Backers distance themselves from Iowa GOP Rep. Steve King
- US Rep. Steve King's campaign criticized for Facebook post
- 4th District voters react to Rep. Steve King's comments
- Rep. Steve King holds town hall event in Charles City
- Even as some cringe, Rep. Steve King's support may endure
- Congressman Steve King discusses primary results
- Iowa Rep. King returns to district after uproar over comment
- Rep. Steve King wants to make abortion point in 'softer way'