ALBERT LEA, Minn. – A man has been arrested after a Saturday break-in at a church.
Kavin Earl Whelan, 64 of Albert Lea, is charged with one count of 3rd degree burglary. He’s accused of breaking a window to get inside Grace Lutheran Church. Court documents state that surveillance video shows Whelan riding his bike and carrying a large sledge hammer.
The video reportedly shows Whelan going to the area where the window was broken, with video then showing him inside the building with the sledge hammer and his hoodie pulled up.
Police say Whelan admitted to breaking into the church but says he didn’t take anything.
There have now been nine church burglaries in Albert Lea since January 1.
- Man arrested for Albert Lea church burglary
- Albert Lea man arrested in Austin
- Albert Lea stabber sentenced
- Albert Lea police investigate shooting
- Albert Lea's Glazier picks Iowa
- Camper fire in Albert Lea
- Prison for Albert Lea burglar
- Art installation in Albert lea
- Police closer to solving string of church burglaries in Albert Lea
- Worth County burglary charge dropped against Albert Lea woman