AUSTIN, Minn. – A man remains in custody after a garage fire Friday, but it’s still not known if he had anything to do with it.
Austin police and fire were called to a blaze Friday in an alley in the 700 block of 11th Avenue. The flames were extinguished but not before officials say they caused about $12,500 in damage to a garage and its contents.
No one was hurt in the fire.
Joseph Henry Mallan, 34, was reportedly seen leaving the garage before the fire was called in.
Austin Police Chief Brian Krueger says Mallan was then arrested on Sunday after he was discharged from Mayo Clinic Health System in Austin, where he had been taken on Saturday after saying he was suffering from a drug overdose. He is listed as being held in the Mower County Jail on a parole violation for a 4th degree criminal sexual conduct conviction in Freeborn County.
The State Fire Marshal’s Office says the cause of the garage fire is inconclusive.
Mallan’s criminal record includes multiple convictions in Mower County stretching back to 2002.
- Man arrested after Austin garage fire
- Man sentenced for Austin garage beating
- Man to be sentenced for Austin garage beating
- Garage fire in West Concord
- Garage fire in Mason City
- Sunday fire in Austin
- Austin man arrested after chase through downtown
- Man arrested after chase, crash in Austin
- Austin man arrested after police chase
- Albert Lea man arrested in Austin