MANCHESTER, Iowa (AP) — A man has been accused of vandalizing an eastern Iowa cemetery.
Delaware County court records say 26-year-old Malachi Montes is charged with criminal mischief. His attorney didn't immediately return a call Wednesday from The Associated Press.
Authorities say Montes knocked over 25 headstones and cracked four at the Oakland Cemetery in Manchester on Aug. 15. He told police he was drunk that night and had taken prescription medications.
His preliminary hearing is scheduled for Tuesday. He's also been charged with burglary and other crimes unrelated to the vandalism.
- Man accused of vandalizing eastern Iowa cemetery
- Iowa officials investigate cemetery vandalism
- 2nd Iowa city sees cemetery gravestones damaged by vandals
- Vandal damages Field of Dreams site in eastern Iowa
- Man arrested after gunfire in eastern Iowa
- Mistrial in eastern Iowa murder
- Eastern Iowa counselor charged, accused of kissing patient
- Eastern Iowa homeless shelter is "overwhelmed"
- Deadly Christmas Day fire in eastern Iowa
- Body found in frozen eastern Iowa lake