STORY COUNTY, Iowa - Collin Richards, the man accused of killing former Iowa State golfer Celia Barquin Arozamena, was allegedly beaten in jail by another man who is accused of murder.
Anthony English is accused of attacking Collin Richards at the end of April at the Story County Jail and punching him 20 times.
English has been charged with assault causing bodily injury.
Richards told authorities that he momentarily lost consciousness due to the beating.
Richards was arrested and charged with first-degree murder last year in the murder of the former Iowa State golfer. Investigators said Richards told an acquaintance he had "an urge to rape and kill a woman" and that he was living in a homeless encampment near the golf course in Ames, about 30 miles north of Des Moines.
Earlier this month, it was announced Richards' murder trial had been moved to northeast Iowa.
English has been charged in the 2017 shooting death of an Ames man.
- Man accused of killing former Iowa State golfer beaten in jail
- Richards pleads not guilty in killing of Iowa State golfer
- Man says he's sorry for killing former Iowa college golfer
- Man pleads guilty in death of Iowa State golfer
- Handcuffed man beaten in Minnesota jail to receive $525,000
- Man's trial in former Iowa State golfer's slaying moved to northeast Iowa
- Relatives of Iowa man charged in golfer's death 'devastated'
- Iowa man who killed top golfer from Spain gets life sentence
- Man accused of killing ISU golfer to get a new attorney
- NE Iowa man accused of assaulting jail staff