MOWER CO, Minn.- This is the second in a week that a school bus in our area is involved in a crash.
This morning ,a bus carrying 7 children slid off the road into a cornfield just outside of Austin.
Austin police, fire, gold cross ambulance and state troopers all responded to the crash.
KIMT wanted to dig deeper on how did the school respond in the aftermath of that accident.
“Safety of students remains their number one priority,” said John Alberts.
He’s districts executive director of educational services.
When accidents like today happen he quickly jumps.
“First and foremost we need to get a handle on exactly what is happening and ultimately we want to also make sure the parents who are directly involved and students who were directly involved are also contacted,” he adds.
The bus driver, driver's assistant and three students were taken to Mayo Health Systems in Austin as a precaution.
Here's the previous story.
AUSTIN, Minn. - A school bus slid into a field in Mower County on Friday morning that resulted in three students, the bus driver and a bus para being transported by Gold Cross Ambulance for precautionary reasons.
The crash happened at 6:50 a.m. on Highway 105 and County Rd 4, five miles south of Austin.
The Austin School District said there were seven students on the bus at the time. No other vehicles were involved.
Four students who didn’t need medical treatment were all released to their parents.
“The safety of our students is remains our primary concern,” the district said in a statement.
The Minnesota State Patrol said the bus was driven by 75-year-old Keith Alm, of Austin. The bus was northbound on Highway 105 approaching County Rd. 4 when it went through the T-intersection and out into a plowed field. The roadway was wet at the time, State Patrol said.
This is the second school bus accident in the viewing area this week.
On Tuesday, a semi collided with a Belmond-Klemme school bus in Wright County in north Iowa.
There were four students on the bus at the time of that crash. There were no injuries reported.
- Update: 5 transported - including 3 students - after school bus slid into field south of Austin
- School bus/minivan collision in Austin
- UPDATE: Student, driver identified in Iowa school bus fire
- School: Albert Lea school bus hit by BB while transporting kids
- Updates to Destination Medical Center's transportation plan
- UPDATE: Missing Austin man found
- No changes for Rochester Public Schools transportation
- Austin High School students walk out and walk up
- AT&T supporting students in STEM fields
- UPDATE: Missing Austin man found alive