ARDEN HILLS, Minn. (AP) — The Minnesota National Guard says it's received 90 reports of sexual assault in the past five years, including cases that ranged from inappropriate touching to rape.
Guard leaders shared the information with more than 400 soldiers, airmen and civilians who gathered at the Arden Hills armory Thursday to discuss sexual assaults and providing a safe work environment.
The Star Tribune reports that of the 51 cases for which the Guard could release details, 35 were incidents in which both victim and offender were Guard members. In the remaining 16 cases, the victim was a member of the Guard and the offender was either a civilian or a member of another military unit.
About 20 percent of the Minnesota National Guard's 13,200 members are women.
- MN National Guard: 90 reports of sexual assault in past five years
- Republican volunteer reports sexual assault at MN State Fair
- MN National Guard may help with Super Bowl security
- Sexual Assault Awareness Month
- MN National Guard called out to assist motorists stuck in the snow
- 90 former national security officials praise whistleblower
- MN priest arrested for sexual misconduct
- Thousands of officers attend funeral for fallen MN prison guard
- Minnesota National Guard to help storm victims
- Iowa National Guard soldier dies in Cuba