ROCHESTER, Minn. – It took 32 years to catch him but two months to get a guilty plea out of him.
Stephen Gerhart Bratrud, 65 of Rochester, was charged in May 1986 with 1st and 2nd degree criminal sexual conduct. The Rochester Police Department at the time said a then-15-year-old female reported being sexually abused by Bratrud. The girl told authorities the abuse began when she was about five years old and continued through February 1986.
A warrant was issued for Bratrud but he was not arrested until April 2018. He was apparently living outside the U.S. and was arrested in Texas when he returned to the country for health reasons.
On Thursday, Bratrud entered a guilty plea to 2nd degree criminal sexual conduct. His sentencing is scheduled for August 20.
Bratrud remains in the Olmsted County Adult Detention Center on $800,000 bond.
- Long-time sex crime fugitive pleads guilty
- Former fugitive pleads guilty to child sex abuse
- North Carolina man pleads guilty to Freeborn County sex crime
- Austin man pleads guilty to child sex crime
- Man pleads not guilty to drug and sex crimes
- Former Lourdes coach pleads guilty to child sex crimes
- Former Rochester school employee pleads guilty to sex crime
- Lyle man pleads not guilty to North Iowa sex crimes
- Man pleads guilty to drug crime for a second time
- Not guilty plea to 28 sex crimes