DODGE COUNTY, Minn. - Lois Riess, the woman jailed in Florida on murder charges for allegedly killing her look-a-like, has been charged in the death of her husband.
David Riess was 54 when he was shot and killed in March of 2018 in Blooming Prairie.
Lois Riess was indicted Wednesday on one count of first-degree premeditated murder and one count of second-degree murder.
Authorities long believed Lois Riess, who eluded authorities for weeks and caused a nationwide search, was responsible for her husband’s death before fleeing the state.
Riess was seen on March 23, 2018, at a convenience store and casino in Worth County, and authorities released video showing her approaching the store cashier, buying a sandwich and asking for directions south of the state. The store is next to a casino where authorities say Riess spent the day gambling.
It was also on March 23 that David Riess' business partner called authorities to ask them to check on him. The partner said no one at work had seen David Riess in more than two weeks. Authorities found David Riess' body inside his home with multiple gunshots.
Riess was captured in April of 2018 on South Padre Island, Texas, and was taken back to Florida to face charges there for the alleged murder of 59-year-old Pamela Hutchinson of Bradenton, Florida.
Authorities were called to Fort Myers Beach on April 9 and found Hutchinson dead, with gunshot wounds. Investigators believe Riess used the same gun to kill her husband and Hutchinson and that she killed Hutchinson to assume her identity.
Riess is awaiting trial in Florida.
- Lois Riess charged in Dodge County for premeditated murder of husband
- U.S. Marshals now looking for Lois Riess
- Lois Riess now facing the death penalty
- Lois Riess makes court appearance in Florida
- Gun found in Lois Riess' hotel room is linked to Dodge County killing
- Lois Riess pleads not guilty to Florida murder
- Surveillance video released of Lois Riess before alleged murder
- Lois Riess captured in Texas as nationwide search ends
- Florida gets first crack at accused killer Lois Riess
- UPDATE: Lois Riess makes first court appearance in Florida