MASON CITY, Iowa – At a time where major retailers are revising their gun policies, a local club is hosting its annual gun show.
Organizers say there were about 50 vendors at the River City Rifle and Pistol Club gun show this weekend.
Chris Blue owns Take a Shot gun shop in West Union and said the current conversation on gun laws actually creates more business for him. He said he’s sold several AR-15s at the show. However he said guns shows aren’t all about selling guns, but about educating people about guns given the current climate.
“It's really sad what happened down in Florida and things like that can never be justified or quantified,” Blue said, “but the gun didn't do it. A gun is an inanimate object, you know so it's not the gun's fault. It's the person behind it.”
He said fixing our mental health system, strengthening background checks, and enforcing current laws could do a lot to prevent shootings from happening.
- Local gun club hosts gun show
- River City Gun Show
- Car crash near the Ventura Gun Club
- Study shows fewer guns in the home
- After Central Iowa gun store robbery, local gun dealers discuss safety measures
- Guns reported stolen in Austin
- Reactions to Gun Control Legislation
- Locals react to potential ban on gun accessory
- Authorities say Iowa teen accidentally shot, killed herself at gun club
- Guilty plea in paintball gun theft