ROCHESTER, Minn-41 million Americans struggle with hunger. That's according to the group Feeding America."
Summer is an especially tough for food banks. Channel One Regional Food Bank typically feeds 3500 people a month. Jessica Sunds with the food shelf says they tend to see an increase during the summer months.
“In Minnesota around this time 5,000 kids go without food,” Sunds said.
She says additional cost add up for families during the summer months.
“Especially with children out of school they're not receiving their lunches and snacks that are provided by the school systems that on top of increase daycare cost can really affect a food budget," Sunds said.
To fight hunger the food bank has kicked off its campaign Summer Hunger. Sunds says this campaign helps the food bank to stretch their dollars.
Online donations can be made at helpingfeedpeople.org.
- Local Food Bank Needs Summer Donations
- Mayo donates leftover bottled water to local food bank
- Rochester Food Bank Encourages 'Donating a Row'
- Olive Garden donates food to local organizations
- Aldi donates thousands to Channel One food bank
- Food safety at summer fairs
- Ramadan food drive hopes to become eventual food bank
- Food shelf donations help area families
- Boy Scouts pick up food donations
- Making local food more profitable