ROCHESTER, Minn. - On Saturday, Nov. 9th, Olmsted County Boy Scout troops trekked through Rochester, Stewartville, Byron, and Eyota placing door hangings throughout neighborhoods asking people to leave nonperishable food items on their porches the following Saturday.
This Saturday, the troops gathered the donations left on porches, hauled them to Channel One Regional Food Bank, and weighed them.
"I think it shows some of our leadership skills and helping other people in the community," explains Ryan Jirik, Senior Patrol Leader for Troop 97.
In total, the scouts rounded up 13,500 lbs of donations, which is expected to feed 16,000 people.
Boy Scouts nationwide take part in Scouting for Food.
- Local Boy Scouts collect 13,500 lbs of food donations for Channel One Food Bank
- Boy Scouts pick up food donations
- Aldi donates thousands to Channel One food bank
- Local Food Bank Needs Summer Donations
- New director for Channel One Regional Food Bank
- Channel One announces its food bank donor of the year
- $150,000 grant for Channel One Regional Food Bank
- Rochester Food Bank Encourages 'Donating a Row'
- Channel One Regional Food Bank receives 40,000-pound donation of mac and cheese
- Mayo donates leftover bottled water to local food bank