CLEAR LAKE, Iowa - Saturday marks Day 2 of the 14th annual "Bicycles, Blues and BBQ" event in Clear Lake.
Saturday's schedule consisted of criterium races from different categories such as Masters 40+, Woman's Pro-Am, and Professional and Category Half criterium races that went in a loop in downtown. In addition, there were plenty of food vendors, the "Brews on the Beach" craft beer fest, an awards ceremony, and live music from Jimmy Nick wrapped up the day.
Matthew Bosman is from Minneapolis, and participated in this morning's time trials, which had riders bike from Lions Field north to 300th Street and Grouse Avenue and back. He has come to Clear Lake twice now for the event, and loves every minute of it.
"I love it. It's great being out here, it's a great atmosphere, great group of people...seeing people from around the country coming together, it's great," Bosman said.
Also in attendance is Leman Northway, who has been the photographer for the event for 5 years, but missed last year's event due to an accidental fire, and was recently diagnosed with glioblastoma. Despite what has happened to him within the last year, he didn't want to miss this year's event for anything.
"I'm feeling really good. That cancer diagnosis...it hit me hard but I'm feeling good. And just being here is amazing. I just love being here, talking to everybody, taking pictures, it's awesome. I love it," Northway said.
Sunday's schedule will consist of the USA Cycling Road Race, which begins at 10 a.m. Awards will be given out at 3 p.m.
- Large turnout for 14th annual "Bicycles, Blues and BBQ"
- County preps for large voter turnout
- 14th Annual Breast Cancer Walk
- Pine Island's 14th Annual Tractor Drive
- Great turnout at annual Ethnic Lunch despite chilly weather
- 6th annual Deer & Turkey Expo sees great turnout despite weather
- Great turnout for Clear Lake's annual Independence Day parade
- Rochester predicts high voter turnout
- Local sports scores from Thursday, June 14th
- CURE's effort to increase voter turnout