MASON CITY, Iowa – A local softball legend is being honored today for his commitment and dedication to the sport and his community.
Friends and family members gathered at the Hanford Park Adult Softball Complex for the unveiling of a sculpture in his honor.
“Doc” umpired and played softball for 40 years and Mike Hjelle wanted to honor his longtime friend.
He says the statue is a way for people to always remember his friend and teammate.
“They’re going to remember all those years umpiring and standing behind the plate,” said Hjelle. “My son plays softball and you look at home plate expecting to see him there after 40 years behind there.”
- Local softball legend honored with statue
- A Minnesota legend is honored by President Trump
- Rosa Parks honored with a statue in Montgomery, Alabama
- Fundraising for Marion Ross statue
- Local baseball and softball highlights from Friday
- Iowa's Bohannon passes on record to honor Hawkeye legend Chris Street
- Chateau Speedway honors its legends, inducts first Hall of Fame class in 63 years
- Remembering Vance Baird, a NIACC legend
- Broadway legend Neil Simon dead at 91
- Local gym wants to honor veterans