SEVERE WX: Winter Storm Watch View Alerts
CLOSINGS: View Closings

Kitchen fire in Rochester

Apartment residents used water on an oil fire.

Posted: Dec. 4, 2017 10:06 AM

ROCHESTER, Minn. – Apartment residents put out a cooking fire late Sunday night.

The Rochester Fire Department was called to 1148 5th Avenue SE at 11:45 pm. Five crews responded, along with Rochester police and Gold Cross Ambulance, but they arrived to find the flames already out. A pan of oil on a kitchen stove caught fire and was extinguished using water, which officials say it not the recommended way to deal with an oil or grease fire.

The flames damaged the stove, range hood, and a nearby cabinet. There was also smoke damage, limited mostly to the kitchen.
Firefighters ventilated the upstairs and downstairs apartments until air quality returned to normal levels. Four residents declined to be evaluated for smoke inhalation. The Fire Department also searched for the residents’ two cats but only one was found.

The fire did an estimated $4,000 in damage and officials say both the downstairs and upstairs apartments are still livable.

The cause of the fire has been ruled an accident.

Article Comments

Mason City
Clear
15° wxIcon
Hi: 18° Lo: 6°
Feels Like: 4°
Albert Lea
Broken Clouds
16° wxIcon
Hi: 18° Lo: 3°
Feels Like: 7°
Austin
Clear
19° wxIcon
Hi: 19° Lo: 7°
Feels Like: 10°
Charles City
Broken Clouds
16° wxIcon
Hi: 17° Lo: 6°
Feels Like: 4°
Rochester
Overcast
15° wxIcon
Hi: 17° Lo: 7°
Feels Like: 6°
Brutally cold air is on the way.
KIMT Radar
KIMT Eye in the sky

Latest Video

Image

Pipes burst at Southbridge Mall

Image

Flooding at iconic Rochester hotel

Image

StormTeam 3 Weather Forecast: Bitter cold temps on the way

Image

Rochester City Council to talk policing downtown

Image

The future of Rochester's iconic corn water tower still up in the air

Image

Preventing frozen pipes

Image

Keeping the runways clear

Image

Catholic community conversation

Image

Affordable Housing and the Government Shutdown

Image

North Iowa Bulls' Poczos recalled to NAHL club

Community Events