CORALVILLE, Iowa (AP) — Authorities say a man convicted in a 1996 northeast Iowa slaying has died in a state prison facility.
The Iowa Corrections Department said Monday that Robert Richey died of natural causes at 9:40 a.m. Sunday at the Iowa Medical and Classification Center in Coralville. He was 74.
Richey had been housed there because of chronic illness.
He was sentenced to life in prison after his conviction for the shotgun killing of a Garner city councilman, Don Larkin Jr. Authorities say Larkin had been dating Richey's former wife.
- Killer of Garner city councilman dies in prison
- Garner man going to prison for meth
- Sand bags available in Garner
- Garner man arrested for meth
- Guilty plea in Garner arson
- Garner's new city administrator shares vision, plan for community
- Rochester councilman reverses opposition to make city charter gender neutral
- Iowa councilman says his OWI arrest 'an embarrassment' to city
- Rochester city councilman hospitalized after vehicle-bike collision
- Mason City councilman is running for re-election