LIME SPRINGS, Iowa - More than two dozen dogs have been seized from a property near the Iowa-Minnesota border.
The Howard County Sheriff's Office says they received a call about the dogs and a deputy and Cresco-based vet investigated on Tuesday. They determined the majority of animals needed to be taken because of signs of malnourishment.
The Howard County Sheriff's Office says 20 dogs were removed Wednesday afternoon from the 17000 block of 10th St. in Lime Springs. Eight dogs were left at the property but the Sheriff's Office says four will later be removed.
The four remaining animals will be left on a promise by the property owner to have them spayed and neutered. Sheriff Mike Miner says they are in "okay" condition. According to the sheriff, rescue groups are working with the owner to finance the procedures.
A cat and a horse on the property were evaluated by the vet and will also be allowed to stay.
The Humane Society of Northeast Iowa, Helping Every Animal Rescue Team (HEART), and Coulee Region Humane Society assisted in seizing the animals. According to HEART, HEART took two puppies and a pregnant dog and 9 dogs are being taken to the Coulee Region Humane Society and Monroe County Humane Society. HSNEI took an unknown number.
The Sheriff's Office says there does not appear to be any animal abuse at work, simply too many in one place. The animals were being kept in a grain bin.
The Sheriff's Office says this is an area of the county where many people dump unwanted animals.
HEART says the public can help the animals by donating money to the involved animal rescues to help pay for the dogs' vet care.
- Sheriff: 20 malnourished dogs removed from Howard County residence
- Carcasses, malnourished dogs found at western Iowa kennel
- Authorities remove 7 dogs from Mason City residence
- Helicopter crash in Howard County
- Howard County burglar gets probation
- Howard County drivers collide in Winneshiek County
- More probation for Howard County woman
- Frozen pipe warning in Howard County
- Not guilty plea in Howard County killing
- Howard County teen charged with multiple burglaries