MASON CITY, Iowa- Two local representatives held a meeting to focus on talking about jobs with the public. Jobs are a huge asset to states when it comes to tax dollars, but are even more important to real people.
“I’ve been looking for a part-time job to help me get through school,” says Nicky Zimmerle, of Mason City.
“There’s never enough living-wage jobs throughout the state,” says Rick Moyle, the Executive Director of Hawkeye Area Labor council AFL-CIO.
That’s why this town hall happened. Zimmerle has been looking for a job since early last year. She says she has applied all over, but believes her lack of experience is holding her back.
“I see a lot of help wanted signs but I think even the convenient stores are being too picky in who they hire,” she says.
She is hoping to get advice from the representatives about opportunities to get job experience while others want to be a part of the conversation when the topic of jobs comes up.
“It’s important that we don’t just ask questions about bringing jobs here,” says Moyle. “We need to ask about bringing quality jobs that provide a living wage and benefits.”
But bringing jobs to a state is hard work. Rep. Sharon Steckman says they need to entice companies to want to come to Iowa. She says one of the focuses right now should be on bringing broadband to the entire state.
“Young folks want to live in rural Iowa,” she says. “Grow a couple of pigs, maybe a cow, but they also want to be able to work from home. They need fast communication.”
But those wanting better pay with benefits say they will never have enough.
“We have plenty of low-wage jobs, but we need to start concentrating on supplying people with the job they can work 40 hours a week and make a living,” says Moyle.
- Jobs discussed at town hall meeting
- Hagedorn visit Austin town hall meeting
- Hagedorn town hall focuses on upcoming race
- J.D. Scholten holds town hall in Latimer
- Rep. Finkenauer holds town hall in Osage
- Public arts spaces town hall in Rochester
- Grassley talks message of bipartisanship at Forest City town hall meeting
- Charles City city staff discuss new city hall
- Rep. Steve King holds town hall event in Charles City
- Sen. Joni Ernst holds town hall in Forest City