HAMPTON, Iowa - There has been an update on what caused the evacuation of a two-block radius around the Hampton Post Office earlier this month.
According to Hampton Police Chief Robert Schaefer, someone left a dial kitchen timer with a bell on a counter in the lobby of the post office on May 7th. Authorities say a post office employee thought it looked suspicious and reported it.
The Iowa State Fire Marshal later determined the device was harmless.
The evacuation lasted about 2 hours.
- Item that caused evacuation around Hampton Post Office found to be harmless
- Hampton partially evacuated for suspicious item
- 'Harmless' social media post causes a stir at Rochester school
- UPDATE: Missing Hampton man found in Nebraska
- UNI smashes Hampton, 44-0
- Marijuana sentence for Hampton teen
- Hampton man accused of kidnapping
- Residents relieved after missing Hampton man with dementia found safe
- Post office closed in Claremont
- Trial scheduled in Hampton apartment theft