STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (AP) — Luka Garza matched a season-high 22 points and also grabbed 12 rebounds and No. 23 Iowa edged Penn State 89-82 on Wednesday night.
Jordan Bohannon added 19 points, Ryan Kriener had 15 off the bench for the Hawkeyes (15-3, 4-3 Big Ten), who won their fourth straight and ninth of 10.
Josh Reaves and Rasir Bolton scored 16 points apiece for the Nittany Lions (7-11, 0-7), who led for most of the second half but lost their fifth straight.
Mike Watkins chipped in 11 points and and 11 rebounds and Myles Dread scored 14 points for Penn State which scored the first eight points and led 45-40 at halftime.
After the teams swapped the lead five times in the final six minutes, Garza put Iowa ahead for good with a free throw that made it 83-82 with 1:36 to play. Bohannon added a 3-pointer moments later to put the game out of reach.
THE BIG PICTURE
Iowa: Coming off arguably their best game of the season, the Hawkeyes came back to earth a bit. They struggled to keep up with Penn State's speed, especially early when the Nittany Lions posted nine of of their first 11 points on fastbreaks.
Penn State: The early portion of the Nittany Lions' conference schedule has been brutal with five losses to Top 25 teams already. It eases up a bit as their next three opponents are a combined 8-9 in conference play so far.
Iowa hosts Illinois on Sunday.
Penn State visits Minnesota on Saturday.
- Iowa wins on the road again, topping Penn State 89-82
- Gophers edge Penn State, 65-64
- No. 10 Penn State holds off No. 17 Iowa 17-12
- Penn State hires Minnesota's offensive coordinator
- No. 17 Penn State escapes No. 18 Iowa 30-24 with late stands
- Iowa, Iowa State both ranked in AP top 25 poll
- Gophers record marquee victory, move to 9-0 with win over Penn State
- Iowa DOT road announcements
- Penn State investigates new allegations against Jerry Sandusky
- Unbeaten Minnesota clashes with undefeated Penn State Saturday