IOWA CITY, Iowa (AP) — Iowa tackle Alaric Jackson and defensive lineman Cedrick Lattimore will be suspended for the season opener against Northern Illinois for violating team rules.
The Hawkeyes say the suspensions aren't for legal matters. But coach Kirk Ferentz says Jackson and Lattimore's issues surfaced in the late spring and both players were given guidelines to meet.
Ferentz called their response "excellent." However, it apparently wasn't strong enough to avoid missing the opener.
The loss of Jackson means that Iowa will face the Huskies on Sept. 1 without either of their starting tackles. Tristan Wirfs, like Jackson a sophomore pressed into duty a year ago, is suspended for one game after being charged with drunk driving on July 29.
- Iowa suspends Jackson, Lattimore for season opener
- Women's basketball season suspended at RCTC
- NHL suspending season due to coronavirus
- Iowa coach Fran McCaffery suspended 2 games
- Snyder leaves Hawkeyes, Wirfs suspended for opener
- Iowa State rolls past Alabama State in season opener
- Gary Dolphin, Iowa's play-by-play voice, suspended for rest of season
- NBA suspends season until further notice over coronavirus
- University of Iowa suspends 9 fraternities, citing alcohol
- Iowa suspends play-by-play broadcaster for hot mic comments