LOS ANGELES (AP) — Iowa native Maddie Poppe has won "American Idol."
The singer-songwriter bested Caleb Lee Hutchinson and Gabby Barrett in Monday night's two-hour finale.
Poppe and Hutchinson announced on the program that they're dating, surprising judges Katy Perry, Luke Bryan and Lionel Richie. They then performed "Somewhere Over the Rainbow."
Hutchinson took to Twitter to congratulate Poppe.
The three judges performed during the finale along with Patti LaBelle, Nick Jonas and Mustard, Bebe Rexha, Darius Rucker, Gary Clark Jr., Yolanda Adams and Kermit the Frog.
— Carrie Underwood (@carrieunderwood) May 22, 2018
- Iowa native Maddie Poppe wins 'American Idol'
- Thousands attend Maddie Poppe's homecoming: 'She's very authentic, real'
- Maddie Poppe to learn results soon after reaching top 3
- Clarksville community on local star: 'People are nuts over Maddie Poppe'
- Iowa's 'American Idol' returns to the state this fall
- Iowa native wins NASCAR race by penalty
- Poppe named 'Friend of County Fairs'
- Indigenous People's Day wants to bring light to Native Americans
- Local Native American speaks out on changing Mohawk name
- Maddie Fank (Forsyth) returns to Charles City volleyball