DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — An Iowa mother who left her four children home alone to travel to Europe has been given two years' probation.
The Des Moines Register reports Erin Macke was sentenced Thursday in Polk County District Court. She could have faced up to eight years in prison.
The 31-year-old Macke of Johnston entered Alford pleas in February to four counts of child endangerment. In an Alford plea, a person doesn't admit guilt but acknowledges there is enough evidence for a likely conviction.
Police were called to her home in September by the children's father, who said the kids — two 12-year-olds, a 7-year-old and a 6-year-old — had been left alone the day before. Police say Macke failed to make child care arrangements before leaving Sept. 20 for a 10-day vacation in Germany.
- Iowa mom who left kids alone to visit Germany gets probation
- Iowa mom who left kids alone to visit Germany takes plea deal
- Man gets probation for North Iowa chase
- Iowa couple gets probation for child neglect
- Probation for Mollo
- Probation for Rochester man
- Plymouth man gets probation
- Probation for Schimmelpfennig
- Probation for Walmart shoplifter
- Probation for teenage burglar