DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — A Polk County man has been sentenced to life in prison for the fatal shooting of his girlfriend in the Des Moines suburb of Johnston.
Television station KCCI reports that 39-year-old Abraham Roberts was sentenced Tuesday to the mandatory life term. Roberts was convicted in January of first-degree murder in the death of 34-year-old Agnes Yarlee, who was found April 15 in her apartment.
Prosecutors say Yarlee had been shot five times as she sat on a couch following an argument with Roberts.
Defense lawyers didn't dispute that Roberts killed Yarlee but argued he'd "lost it" during an argument, then blacked out with no memory of the shooting.
Roberts was arrested at the Canadian border the day after the shooting.
- Iowa man sentenced to life for killing girlfriend
- NE Iowa man gets life for killing girlfriend's daughter
- Iowa man admits killing parents, sister, gets 3 life sentences
- Minnesota man sentenced for killing girlfriend, dumping body in pond
- Iowa man who killed top golfer from Spain gets life sentence
- Prison sentence for man who choked his girlfriend
- Iowa man gets 5 years in prison for girlfriend's death
- Minnesota man gets double life sentences
- Minnesota man walking with girlfriend killed during chance encounter
- Man suspected of killing girlfriend's mother in Fort Dodge