DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — A Polk County man has been sentenced to life in prison for the fatal shooting of his girlfriend in the Des Moines suburb of Johnston.
Television station KCCI reports that 39-year-old Abraham Roberts was sentenced Tuesday to the mandatory life term. Roberts was convicted in January of first-degree murder in the death of 34-year-old Agnes Yarlee, who was found April 15 in her apartment.
Prosecutors say Yarlee had been shot five times as she sat on a couch following an argument with Roberts.
Defense lawyers didn't dispute that Roberts killed Yarlee but argued he'd "lost it" during an argument, then blacked out with no memory of the shooting.
Roberts was arrested at the Canadian border the day after the shooting.
- Iowa man sentenced to life for killing girlfriend
- Iowa man admits killing parents, sister, gets 3 life sentences
- Minnesota man sentenced for killing girlfriend, dumping body in pond
- Prison sentence for man who choked his girlfriend
- Minnesota man gets double life sentences
- Iowa mom gets 3 life sentences in girl's starvation death
- Man sentenced for northeast Iowa chase
- North Iowa man sentenced for benefit fraud
- Minnesota man killed by Iowa business owner
- Minnesota man killed in southern Iowa crash