DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — A Des Moines man has been charged with training roosters to cockfight more than a month after police and animal rescue workers seized scores of chickens from his property.
Officials say 50-year-old Jose Barrios was booked Monday evening in the Polk County Jail. He’s charged with being a trainer for an animal contest, a felony.
More than 100 roosters and hens were taken from Barrios’ home on March 8.
Officials say Barrios told officers he was training the roosters to prepare them for a derby in Mexico.
If convicted, Barrios faces up to five years in prison.
No attorney was listed Tuesday for Barrios in online court records
- Iowa man arrested on a cockfighting charge
- Iowa man suspected of cockfighting involvement gets probation
- Man arrested in Colorado on Iowa cold case murder charge
- Man arrested in Mexico will face Iowa fatal assault charges
- Charges dropped against Iowa man arrested near Taylor Swift's house
- North Iowa drug charges against California man
- Murder charge filed against northeast Iowa man
- NE Iowa man facing sex abuse charge
- Louisiana man charged with SE Iowa murder
- Iowa man charged with neglecting malnourished goats