FOUNTAIN HILLS, Ariz. (AP) - Authorities have released the names of an Iowa couple and a Canadian woman who died after being struck by an SUV on a sidewalk in Fountain Hills, Arizona.
Maricopa County Sheriff's officials say 72-year-old Robert Bonta and his 71-year-old wife Karen of Wever, Iowa, were killed in the accident Tuesday along with 60-year-old Patti Doornbos.
Doornbos' 60-year-old husband, Ronald Doornbos, suffered a head injury and remains hospitalized in critical condition after multiple surgeries.
Sheriff's officials say the two couples didn't know each other.
They say charges are pending against the 27-year-old man who was driving the SUV when it jumped a curb and struck the two couples as they waited to cross a street.
Fountain Hills is about 32 miles (51 kilometers) northeast of Phoenix.
- Iowa couple killed in Arizona
- Iowa couple imprisoned for abuse of disabled woman
- Couple sentenced for beatings of child in northwest Iowa
- North Iowa couple gets engaged at Minnesota State Fair
- Minnesota man killed by Iowa business owner
- 20-mile-long fish kill in eastern Iowa
- Minnesota man killed in southern Iowa crash
- Spring Valley teen killed in Iowa crash
- Child killed in crash in northwestern Iowa
- 1 person killed in northeast Iowa crash