Photo Gallery 2 Images
MASON CITY, Iowa - Iowa and Minnesota residents should be rest assure: both states are among the least stressed in the United States according to Wallet Hub.
The personal finance website found that out of all 50 states (including Washington, D.C.), on a scale of 1-51 with 51 being the less stressed and 1 being the most stressed, Minnesota is the least stressed at 51st (with a score of 25.68), while Iowa comes in at 48th (with a score of 30.89).
The study also found that Iowa is 51st in most affordable housing, and 48th in most average hours of sleep per night; however, Iowa is ranked 2nd in job security. Minnesota, on the other hand, is ranked 51st in having the highest credit scores, 49th in having the lowest percentage of adults in fair/poor health, 48th in divorce rates, also 48th in most psychologists per capita, and tied with Hawaii in 46th in having the lowest percentage of population living below the poverty line.
The site factored work, financial, family and health/safety stress to determine the rankings.
Kerry Stricker is a Mason City native who moved back with her husband after spending a little over 10 years in Florida. She says compared to the Sunshine State, she doesn't feel that stressed being in the Hawkeye State.
"One of the factors that went into our move back home was looking for a less stressful way of life," Stricker says.
The only thing she stresses about is the weather.
"We weren't used to dealing with winter [in Florida], so the winter driving is like a source of stress. But other than that, I think everything else is less stressful here," Stricker adds.
The study found that Louisiana and New Mexico are the most stressful states to live in.
- Iowa and Minnesota named 'least stressed states' by Wallet Hub
- Literacy Hub coming soon
- KIMT's 2019 Election Hub: Looking at the results in Iowa, Minnesota
- Minnesota State College Southeast opens SLAM hubs in area high schools
- Records: Minnesota cop accused in Australian's death can't take stress
- Minnesota Mat names Top 100
- Rochester Public Library unveils its 'Literacy Hub'
- DMCC gives green light on mobility hubs
- March Madness can be stressful
- Minnesota state wrestling- Saturday