IRVING, Texas (AP) — Kansas has been tabbed as the favorite to win the Big 12 men's basketball title, the season after the end of the Jayhawks' NCAA record run of winning the conference 14 years in a row.
League coaches picked Kansas to finish ahead of Baylor and Texas Tech, which last year made it to the NCAA championship game before losing to Virginia in overtime. Texas was picked fourth in the poll released Thursday, followed by West Virginia, Oklahoma State, Iowa State, Oklahoma, Kansas State and TCU.
Kansas coach Bill Self returns three starters, including senior center Udoka Azubuike, who was picked as the Big 12 preseason player of the year.
Texas Tech and Kansas State were the Big 12 co-champions last year. Iowa State won the league's postseason tournament after beating Kansas in the championship game.
- Iowa State picked 7th in Big 12 basketball poll
- Iowa State picked to finish third in Big 12
- Iowa Boys Basketball Prep Poll (12/26)
- Iowa State’s Big 12 Schedule Announced
- Iowa prep football poll
- Iowa, Iowa State and Drake women all ranked in AP Top 25 basketball poll
- Iowa, Iowa State both ranked in AP top 25 poll
- Osage picked second in IGHSAU preseason poll
- Riceville's Throndson picks Upper Iowa
- Albert Lea's Glazier picks Iowa