IOWA CITY, Iowa (AP) — Iowa point guard Jordan Bohannon is out indefinitely with a hip injury that could put his senior season in jeopardy.
Bohannon, who suffered the previously undisclosed injury early in 2018-19, will undergo surgery Wednesday, the team said. Bohannon ranked third on the team with 11.6 points per game last season and led the Big Ten in free throw shooting percentage.
Iowa said Bohannon was able to manage the injury last season and had hoped rest and rehabilitation would heal it. But Bohannon ultimately decided on surgery and he will be evaluated throughout the summer and fall.
"This is an unfortunate setback for Jordan, but he will work hard during his rehab and is expected to make a full recovery," coach Fran McCaffery said. "He has the support of his teammates and coaches, and we look forward to having a healthy Jordan back when he is given clearance from our medical staff."
Bohannon's status is just the latest setback for the Hawkeyes this offseason.
Star forward Tyler Cook is expected to stay in the NBA draft after leading Iowa with 14.5 points and 7.6 rebounds a game. Guard Isaiah Moss also put his name in the NCAA transfer portal; Moss, who scored 9.2 points a game last season, intends to transfer to Arkansas.
With Cook and Moss gone, Bohannon was expected to fill a leadership void in 2019-20.
Freshman C.J. Fredrick, who redshirted last season after being named Kentucky's player of the year in 2018, and incoming prep star Joe Toussaint would be in line to compete with Connor McCaffery for minutes at the point.
The potential loss of Bohannon might also open the door for Fran McCaffery's other son, Patrick — an incoming 6-foot-8 shooting guard — to bolster the Hawkeyes on the perimeter.
- Iowa PG Jordan Bohannon out indefinitely with hip injury
- Bohannon, Iowa rally from 20 down, beat Illinois in OT
- Bohannon, No. 25 Iowa beat No. 24 Nebraska 93-84
- Season-ending surgery for Hawkeyes' Bohannon
- Iowa's Bohannon passes on record to honor Hawkeye legend Chris Street
- Bohannon nets winner, caps No. 20 Iowa's late rally against Northwestern
- Same story, new game: Late heroics send Iowa, Bohannon past Indiana
- Hawkeye Harvest Food Bank shutting down indefinitely
- President Trump says tariffs on Mexico suspended indefinitely
- Police: Woman suffers broken hip in Olmsted Co. after being beaten by boyfriend