ROCHESTER, Minn. - The temperatures the area is experiencing haven't dropped this low since the mid-nineties.
February 2, 1996 marks some of the lowest temps in the areas history, with lows ranging around -32 to -36.
Visiting Rochester from Chattanooga, Tennessee, the Henry family did not expect Minnesota to be quite this cold when they arrived.
"Trying to go through our luggage in the airport to get our clothes out and we were not prepared," says Julia Henry. "We were not prepared at all until I pulled everything out of the suitcase that I had packed," adds Walker Henry. "They said you're going to expect the cold weather, but this is not cold weather. This is much worse than cold weather," says Buddy Henry.
- Icy Blast from the Past: How today's temps compare to the 1996 Arctic Outbreak
- Conan the Barbarian (1982) vs. The Whole Wide World (1996)
- Tracking a deep freeze: Arctic air set to blast viewing area with wind chills well below zero
- Crash on icy I-90 in Mower County
- Multiple auto accidents on icy Minnesota roads
- Doctor warns about walking on icy sidewalks
- Man saved from icy Minnesota lake
- Keeping sidewalks from becoming too icy
- Gophers blasted by Maryland, 42-13
- City says 'no comparison' handling 2018 flood compared to 2008