House catches fire in Britt

It took two visits for firefighters to extinguish the flames.

Posted: Nov 16, 2018 9:19 PM

BRITT, Iowa – Fire has left a house in Britt unlivable for the time being.

Firefighters were called to the 300 block of 5th Street SW around 6:30 pm Thursday. Britt Fire Chief Jon Swenson says no large flames were visible when they arrived but the home appeared to be smoldering. It took almost 20 firefighters two hours to contain the fire, but they had to return Friday morning when it reignited.

No firefighter was injured.

Swenson says electricity, gas, and water service to the house had been shut off. Due to smoke, water, and fire damage, he says no one can live in the home at this time.

The Britt Fire Department was assisted by the Britt Police Department and the West Hancock Ambulance Service. Britt Public Works and Alliant Energy also responded to this emergency.

Article Comments

Mason City
Clear
62° wxIcon
Hi: 72° Lo: 59°
Feels Like: 62°
Albert Lea
Overcast
64° wxIcon
Hi: 73° Lo: 60°
Feels Like: 64°
Austin
Broken Clouds
66° wxIcon
Hi: 74° Lo: 61°
Feels Like: 66°
Charles City
Clear
62° wxIcon
Hi: 72° Lo: 59°
Feels Like: 62°
Rochester
Clear
60° wxIcon
Hi: 70° Lo: 58°
Feels Like: 60°
Increasing moisture will allow for clouds, storms Monday,
KIMT Radar
KIMT Eye in the sky

Community Events