DUNCAN, Oklahoma (AP) — Two men and a woman were fatally shot Monday morning outside a Walmart store in southwestern Oklahoma, police said.
Two victims were shot inside a car and the third was in the parking lot outside the store in Duncan, Police Chief Danny Ford said. It was unclear if the shooter was among the dead.
Two bodies covered with sheets were visible in the parking lot Monday afternoon. One body was in the driver’s seat of a red, two-door car. The other body was lying on the ground next to the vehicle.
Bullet holes were visible in the car’s windshield. Police said in a Facebook post that a handgun was found at the scene.
Authorities from multiple agencies including the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation, the state highway patrol and the Stephens County sheriff’s office were investigating the scene.
Police are also looking for witnesses to the shooting, Ford said.
Aaron Helton, of Duncan, said he was parking outside the Walmart where he planned to buy groceries when he heard about nine gunshots.
“I arrived and there were three bodies,” Helton said.
No staff members were involved in the shooting and the store was not evacuated, Walmart spokeswoman LeMia Jenkins said in an email.
“This was an isolated incident in the parking lot and was not an active shooter situation,” Jenkins said.
Duncan is about 80 miles (130 kilometers) south of Oklahoma City. The Walmart is in a commercial center that includes a sporting goods store and a dollar store along U.S. Highway 81, the main road that passes through Duncan heading south toward Texas.
- Highway Patrol: 3 killed in shooting at Oklahoma Walmart
- State Patrol: Two from Oklahoma killed in I-90 crash in Mower County
- Cyclones beat Oklahoma State, 72-59
- Probation for Walmart shoplifter
- Iowa patrol says skateboarder killed while riding on interstate
- Patrol: Teen driving stolen SUV kills 3 in Minneapolis crash
- Patrol: 3 people killed, 2 hurt in western Iowa collision
- State Patrol: 1 killed in southern Minnesota rollover crash
- State Patrol identifies children killed in eastern Iowa crash
- State Patrol: SE Minnesota man killed in 2-vehicle crash