MASON CITY, Iowa - Highway 122 construction in Mason City is having to make some adjustments in order to keep drivers safe.
Every Wednesday, George Schafer makes his way to Hardee’s for his morning coffee.
“Getting into Hardee’s was the hardest part because 6th St. is supposed to be going east,” Schafer said.
Schafer's referring to the fact that usually Highway 122 is split into an eastbound one-way and a westbound one-way. Right now, part of the westbound lanes are closed to traffic, while the eastbound lanes are now a two-way street.
“It's the time of year for construction and people that do the work have to have a job and so they decided to tear up this street,” Schafer said.
This construction has been going on for nearly a week and half, but changes are already needed in order to keep drivers safe. Drivers are contacting Pete Hjelmstad with the Iowa DOT with concerns about the construction changes along with inspectors visually watching drivers deal with it all.
- The intersection of Monroe Ave. and Highway 122 will start to get dotted lines for those driving west. This is so traffic stays in the west lane not drifting toward the east.
- Turning lines will be put in for traffic headed south at the same intersection again to guide traffic safely on where to turn.
“I don't worry about stuff like that. It’s just like any construction anywhere when you're out on a highway or not you slow down when you pass these people and only fools see how fast they can drive,” Schafer said.
The Highway 122 construction is a two-year project. The westbound lane construction is expected to wrap up this fall.
- Highway 122 construction safety changes being made
- Highway 122 construction project impacts so far
- Gas leak closes Highway 122
- Iowa DOT reveals Highway 122 project
- Section of Highway 122 to open Tuesday
- Construction on Federal Ave., Highway 122 in Mason City causing traffic headaches
- Highway 122 project creates dangerous intersections on side streets
- Highway 122 project in Mason City 'a long time coming'
- Iowa 122 reconstruction project begins
- 122 project impacting local businesses