DOUGHERTY, Iowa - North Iowa farmers banded together to help a family that recently suffered a deep loss.
Terry Boyle, who had a life-long love for farming, passed away at the beginning of September at the age of 69 due to an accident.
This week, a group a friends and neighbors came together to harvest his corn and soybean crops, bringing along their tractors, combines and auger wagons.
Kevin Noss was one of Terry's close friends.
"We would talk about the crops and we would talk about the markets, and we very seldomly talked about politics," Noss said.,
He and his wife helped organize the effort to get everyone to help with the harvest, which moved forward as planned, despite concerns about the weather.
"On Monday, we all had the snow. I thought 'let's go do it Thursday and get the corn out of the way.' The weather has straightened out and the guys here combining and auger wagon wanna try beans today, this afternoon or tomorrow."
He notes that much like what the helpers are doing, Terry would've done the same if another farmer was in a pinch.
"He would be the first one to come, first one to call, first one to help."
This isn't the first time fellow farmers have worked together to help the Boyle's; Terry's wife Carol remembers when her husband needed help 12 years ago.
"He had a heart valve replacement and they were here for him then. But that year, he was here to watch, with me, to watch it. And this year...there he is."
She says that Terry would be proud that those helping are carrying on his legacy, and helping her get through this time.
"I found out I have a strong family. But I have several families. I have my church family, I have my work family, and I have my farmer family. And everybody's been amazing."
Carol says that her son-in-law is planning on taking over operations on the farm, but adds that one of her grandchildren may follow in his Grandpa's footsteps.
"We have a little 4-year old that lives up at Rock Falls and him and Grandpa were good buddies, and he liked to be in every piece of machinery Grandpa was in. And his Dad helped terry a lot too, so they were a team."
- Helping a late farmer's family harvest in north Iowa
- 'Tight-knit' north Iowa community comes together to harvest fallen farmer's crops
- After a tornado struck, neighbors poured in to help a north Iowa farmer and his family
- Surprise! Farmer spots bear while finishing up harvest in northeast Iowa
- Spring turkey harvest down in Iowa
- North Iowa farmers come together to help a family finish the job in a time of need
- North Iowa farmer sees good strawberry crop this season
- Harvest 5k helps stock local food pantries
- Mercy North Iowa celebrates Family Medicine Week
- Helping the hungry in North Iowa