CRESCO, Iowa – A helicopter crash in Howard County Friday sent the pilot to the hospital.
The Sheriff’s Office says it happened a little after 6 pm when a crop dusting helicopter apparently hit an electrical wire and went down at the intersection of 125th Street and Maple Leaf Road. The pilot, 43-year-old Scott Anthony Townes of Texarkana, TX, was able to get out of the chopper on his own and was taken by ambulance to Regional Health Services in Cresco for treatment of minor injuries.
The Howard County Sheriff’s Office says the helicopter was spraying crops for Innovative Ag Services out of Elma.
The Riceville and Elma fire department and Howard County and Riceville ambulances also responded to the scene.
The Federal Aviation Administration inspected the crash site on Saturday.
Photos courtesy of the Howard County Sheriff's Office.
- Helicopter crash in Howard County
- Howard County burglar gets probation
- Howard County drivers collide in Winneshiek County
- Survivor describes Minnesota fatal medical helicopter crash
- More probation for Howard County woman
- Frozen pipe warning in Howard County
- Not guilty plea in Howard County killing
- Howard County teen charged with multiple burglaries
- Man accused of multiple Howard County burglaries
- Guilty plea to Howard County drug crimes