DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — Heavy rains caused flash flooding in the Des Moines area Saturday night, and the forecast calls for more rain Sunday.
The National Weather Service says 2.5 inches of rain fell at the Des Moines airport, but more than 4 inches of rain fell on parts of the Des Moines area Saturday night. A flood watch has been issued for the area on Sunday.
Rescuers had to help several people who became stuck in their cars after the water rose around them, and at least one car caught fire after an electrical wire fell on it.
It wasn't immediately clear if anyone was injured.
- Heavy rains cause flash flooding in central Iowa
- Heavy rain hits central and northwest Iowa
- Heavy rains flood Austin area
- Flash flood warning issued for northeast Iowa
- StormTeam 3: Flash Flood Watch in effect; Heavy rain possible in much of viewing area
- StormTeam 3: Flash Flood Watches in effect due to heavy rain
- StormTeam 3: Heavy rain and flooding possible
- Flash Flood Warning in effect for north Iowa counties
- Heavy rainfall causes flash flooding in parts of the KIMT viewing area
- Flooding and flash flood warnings, Fillmore County Sheriff's warns residents