AUSTIN, Minn. - Almost 12% of American families don't have enough money or resources to buy enough food for their entire household, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
The Harvest 5K Run and walk is hoping to help alleviate food insecurity in Mower County.
"We've really been able to make an impact in the gifts that we've been able to give back to the community that way so its been a really great event and the weather is great today," says the race's director Karen Fuerstenberg.
The race collected money and healthy nonperishable food item donations to give to Mower County food pantries.
- Harvest 5k helps stock local food pantries
- Third Northwood food pantry opens
- Riverland Community College students expanding food pantry
- Students make huge donation to Riverland food pantry
- Promoting local food sources
- Grab and Give for Hawkeye Harvest Food Bank
- Feast Local Foods Marketplace showcases local farms and food vendors
- Local food truck is asking for your help
- Making local food more profitable
- Helping a late farmer's family harvest in north Iowa