MASON CITY, Iowa- Meredith Willson, the writer of the famous musical, “The Music Man”, would have turned 116 years old Friday and for the first time in recent history, band festival host royalty are honoring the Mason City man.
All four of this year’s host royalty are laying flowers at Willson’s grave site at Elmwood Cemetery in Mason City. Ameila Ouverson and Nick Schmidt said they both have fond memories of watching the Music Man as well as attending band festival growing up. While they both said they wish Willson could have been honored earlier for his accomplishments being a part of it for the 80th annual Band Festival.
“Being able to march and being able to be a part of it and actually being in the parade instead of just watching it is kinda of cool,” said Ameila. “I always remember looking at the band and thinking oh wow I get to do that one day.”
- Happy Birthday Meredith Willson
- Celebrating the birth of Meredith Willson
- Just a sign of the times? Mason City legend Meredith Willson wore blackface in 1917
- Happy Joe Mauer Day!
- Happy Meals at McDonalds to change
- My Happy Place looks to expand
- Residents in Albert Lea happy with the direction it's going
- Low gas prices in Iowa and Minnesota making drivers happy
- Group gathers to remember Jodi Huisentruit on her 50th birthday
- Osage man arrested the day before his birthday