Photo Gallery 1 Images
HAMPTON, Iowa - Residents are breathing a sigh of relief after one of their own has been found safe and sound.
James Boylan, 80, has dementia and went missing on Monday evening. He was found in Meadow Grove, Nebraska on Wednesday afternoon.
According to reports, he was spotted at Fuel Time in St. Ansgar around Midnight on Monday. Three hours later, he was spotted at the First Co-Op in Alta, Iowa, and Laurel, Nebraska, which is near Sioux City. Around Noon on Wednesday, Boylan's vehicle was spotted in Clearwater, Nebraska, and a half hour later, authorities located him in Meadow Grove, 270 miles away from home. His family was then notified and they drove out there to reunite with him.
In a small community, when someone goes missing it takes on a new level of concern. Hampton resident Mardell Sidmore-VanKleeck is happy that he has been found alive and well.
"I'm glad they finally found him and that he wasn't off in some ditch or someplace in a rural area he couldn't be spotted," Sidmore-VanKleeck says.
She doesn't know Boylan personally, though she can relate to how his family was feeling, as her husband also has dementia, and says it can be a struggle for family members at times.
"I know it's hard to have somebody around people like that because it does get costly if you're not retired like me. But maybe there's family members that can help out too. Or just keep track of them and call them every so often, make sure they're OK," Sidmore-VanKleeck adds.
She thanks law enforcement and the public for their work in bringing Boylan home.
"I'm just thankful that it turned out to be a great outcome, for the family and for everybody that was involved in it, especially the police department and anybody else who was involved," she says.
- Residents relieved after missing Hampton man with dementia found safe
- UPDATE: Missing Hampton man found in Nebraska
- Hampton man still missing after six years
- Hampton man accused of kidnapping
- UNI smashes Hampton, 44-0
- After 5 years, search for missing Hampton man still ongoing
- Missing child from Mower County found safe
- Missing Austin teen found safe, father says
- New Hampton man sentenced for child porn
- Missing Mason City man found safe in L.A.