ALBERT LEA, Minn. – A St. Paul man pleads guilty in a Freeborn County stolen car case.
Matthew Dennis Smith, 30, was arrested in the early morning hours of November 30, 2018, after an Albert Lea police officer said he noticed a suspicious vehicle driving with no rear plates and a rear window completely covered by snow.
The officer says he signaled the vehicle to stop but it took off and went over the curb. The driver, Smith, then ran from the vehicle while it was still in motion. The officer chased after Smith as he ran through some backyards and jumped a fence before finally capturing him at gunpoint.
A check found the vehicle had been reported stolen from Southtown Motors.
Smith pleaded guilty Tuesday to possession of stolen property. His sentencing is set for March 15.
- Guilty plea for stolen vehicle in Albert Lea
- Guilty plea in Albert Lea stabbing
- Guilty plea in Albert Lea armed robbery
- Guilty plea in Albert Lea church burglary
- Guilty plea in violent Albert Lea burglary
- Second not guilty plea in Albert Lea neglect case
- Not guilty plea in Albert Lea box cutter attack
- Guilty plea in Albert Lea Dairy Queen theft
- Not guilty plea to theft from Albert Lea Walmart
- Guilty plea in case of counterfeit cash in Albert Lea