CLEAR LAKE, Iowa - "It's good for them to reconnect with other veterans from the north Iowa area," says Director of Golf at Veterans Memorial Golf Club, Mike Oimoen.
That's one reason why veterans golf and eat for free each year on Patriot Day. Joining in on the fun Tuesday is Army Veteran, Jim Spratt.
"I was in the Army for three years, two of those three were spent in Vietnam," says Spratt.
While he was not in active combat, Spratt still gets emotional talking about his dedication to America and his time in the service.
"I just kind of wear my emotions on my sleeve when it comes to Vietnam."
A true patriot. It's people like Spratt, Oimoen says makes today extra special.
"It's just good to tell them thank you, it's a good cause."
Oimoen says this event has been going on for 5 years now.
- Clear Lake golf course pays tribute to patriots
- SAW: Clear Lake Boys Golf
- Clear Lake 9/11 Ceremony
- Clear Lake golf wins NCC dual meet crown
- Former Clear Lake golf course being turned into prairie land
- SAW: Clear Lake's Gretchen Jones
- Clear Lake officially ice free
- SAW: Clear Lake's Chloe Mueller
- SAW: Clear Lake's Eric Faught