MASON CITY, Iowa - Automotive Instructor Rob Heimbuch at North Iowa Area Community College is going beyond what a teacher should do, according to students.
He’s actually helping kids get a job while teaching them, and that's why he's this week's Golden Apple Award winner.
“I watched teachers get this all the time ... shows me that what I’m doing here means something to the students too,” Heimbuch said.
Heimbuch's classroom filled with current students say he's someone to look up to.
“These are a great group of kids. They're all going out graduating in two weeks ready to be successful getting jobs. If they don't already have jobs they'll line them up and they'll be great,” Heimbuch said.
Just how big of an impact has he had?
“He's made a huge impact ... goes a lot farther than just the lessons in the shop. He really takes the time outside of class to help you get through any issues you're having, whether it's looking for a job or just day-to-day things,” Logan Linkenmeyer, one of Heimbuchs’s students, said.
Blake Adams, another fellow student, couldn't agree more. Recently, Heimbuch set him up with an automotive job in the community.
“With your networking, getting to know people, a job now could turn into a career. I could be there for 30 years, or I could take what I’ve learned and go anywhere else so it's pretty huge,” Adams said.
These are life-lessons Heimbuch loves to take part in.
“It’s about life, being a good employee, it’s about being a good citizen, it’s not just about automotive for us,” Heimbuch said.
- Golden Apple Award Winner: Rob Heimbuch, NIACC
- Golden Apple Award Winner: Megan Gapinski
- Golden Apple Award Winner: Josh Bass
- Golden Apple Award Winner: Kari Olson
- Golden Apple Award Winner: Heidi Sokol
- Golden Apple Award Winner: Kimberly Fleming
- Golden Apple Award Winner: Alissa Sauer
- Golden Apple Award winners from January
- Golden Apple Award Winner: Kyle Rosedahl
- Golden Apple Award Winner: Mr. Sam Brown